Believe it or not this list of movies came out a whole ten years ago. As college kids most of us have doubled our age since then! Here are some of the movies that are now classics:
1. Mean Girls – personally this was the first movie I was able to see in the theatre without my parents, so it was a pretty big deal! It has had an even larger impact on the rest of the nation – most notably for the endless quotes from this movie that have been incorporated into everyday language.
2. The Notebook – Nicholas Spark’s first novel turned into a classic romantic movie. Last year OUAB brought Nicholas Sparks to Ohio State to speak about his inspiration for all of his books. Since this movie Spark’s success has only continued to rise with countless other romantic novels turned into movies. And of course it stars everyone’s favorite heartthrob Ryan Gosling.
4. The Incredibles – a classic Disney pixar film that is probably some animated movie fans’ favorite. A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world.
5. Saw – the first in a series of six horror films. With a dead body lying between them, two men wake up in the secure lair of a serial killer who’s been nicknamed “Jigsaw”. The men must follow various rules and objectives if they wish to survive and win the deadly game set for them. Personally this is the only movie on this list I have yet to see – not for the easily frightened
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – 10 years ago was Harry Potter’s third year at Hogwarts (in movie years). Since then the series has ended but the popularity has not faded. Now you can go relive the movies all the time at the Harry Potter theme park in Florida.
7. Friends (ending) – although most of us were are the younger side of this series a lot of us still hold it close to our hearts. The series is about 6 friends living in Manhattan and their lives, loves, and laughs together. Who can believe it has already been ten years since this classic tv series aired its last episode?
8. Laguna Beach airs – its been ten years since some of our favorite reality shows first hit the small screen. The effects of this show have been endless: from The Hills spin off, to the rising popularity of reality TV shows, and the fame of many of the stars of the show. Can you believe Kristen already has two kids?!
9. 13 Going on 30 – A 13 year old girl plays a game on her 13th birthday and wakes up the next day as a 30 year old woman. Like many of us at this time we were wishing we were older than we were at the time, and now are wishing we could reverse time!
10. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story – last but not least another classic comedy came out in theaters this year. A group of misfits enter a Las Vegas dodgeball tournament in order to save their cherished local gym from the onslaught of a corporate health fitness chain.